Joining the Rock Snake


Along the boardwalk at Kew Beach in Toronto, an amazing...and amazingly democratic art installation is taking shape.  It's simply known as the "Rock Snake", and it's the brain child of a seven-year-old boy, Lucas Walker, who was sufficiently Covid-bored to start the project.  

It was launched modestly enough, with a few painted rocks and a sign that invited others to join in on the fun.  


I'm just a rock snake, here to make you smile
Paint a rock, add it to my body
Help me grow a mile

The hope, as expressed in the sign, was that the idea would catch the public's fancy and the rock snake would soon stretch to gigantic proportions.  Boy, did it ever succeed.


The snake, perfectly positioned mere inches from the popular boardwalk and stretching along its length, was an immediate hit.  Others enthusiastically joined in, augmenting the modest cluster of rocks that Lucas and family had placed to start the project rolling.  Social media and the local news gave it a further boost, and before long, the rock snake did indeed begin to stretch to gigantic proportions.  


When my son Ross told me about the project, I felt that this was something I simply had to join in on.  I had him bring me a suitably flat, palm-sized rock from the beach and set to work.  I decided I needed to do something 'beachy' to reflect the rock's future home. And so I turned to the familiar ground of a Victorian seaside scene, of which I've painted several over the years.


"The Jetty" 2012


About 90 minutes and a couple of coats of varnish later, my rock was all set to go.  

   



We found a spot near the Leuty Light Station (actually near the centre of the snake) where there seemed to be a stone or two missing.  And so my Victorian beach lady found her home.  


Mission accomplished.  Next came the opportunity to stroll up and down the boardwalk and take in the many previous offerings that lay there.  It's a very pleasurable task that invites you to keep strolling the 200 yard-or-so length (as of this writing) of the ever-growing installation.  


The now upgraded call-to-action sign




At the start of this blog I referred to the exhibit as 'democratic'.  That's because it's open to anyone and everyone.  There's no jury of overseers and no entrance fee.  All are welcome, and the resulting blend of artistic styles and abilities, concepts, colours, and skill levels makes for a thoroughly enjoyable viewing experience.  It doesn't hurt that the setting itself is so lovely too.  Bravo Lucas Walker and all the participants!





If you can't see the rock snake in person, then you can follow its story on Instagram: 

@lucas.explores


Big thank you to my son Ross for documenting this event.  To follow his amazing photography on IG, here's the link:

@bestofbist


UPDATE:  My rock is gone!  Stolen!  Ross reported to me that the spot it once occupied is now empty.  So...if you happen to be some person's house someday and see my rock, do not attempt to apprehend that person.  Just call 911 and wait for S.W.A.T. to show up.  Failing that, bash the culprit on the head with the painted rock, and use the contact info on the back to return it to me.  Stay safe!




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Gotham

The Art Trip of a Lifetime

Art: Make it Personal