A Horse is a Horse of Course of Course

I think I'll file this blog under the already full category of 'Things I Paint Not Because I Want To Paint Them But I Have No Choice But To Paint Them Because I Paint Archival Scenes', henceforth to be referred to by the handy acronym: TIPNBIWTPTBIHNCBTPTBIPAS.  

That's because this blog is all about horses.  That's right...horses.  There are a few things I truly don't want to paint simply because I feel it's very 'typical' subject matter that seeming legions of artists have previously painted before me.  Tiger faces and large flowers are two of these.  Horses too, flirt dangerously close to that sort of banal, overdone subject that no artist need ever paint again.  


If someone were to ask me "Dave, do you do paintings of horses?" I'm sure my hackles would immediately go up and I'd issue a dismissive scoff, "Pshaw, NO!!"

And yet I have painted horses.  Many of them, it turns out.




But the horses I paint, I've learned to rationalize to myself, are 'bit' players (pun intended) in my works, and not the main event.  They are working stiffs, there to pull wagons and serve their masters who are also working stiffs.  The horses I paint aren't prancing through some meadow with the wind artfully tossing their manes.  


But over the years, I've gained a genuine appreciation for our equine counterparts.  I understand fully the aesthetic appeal of their lean yet powerful forms.  There's a certain sense of freedom that goes with the image of a horse, bridled though they may be in my works...for they are first and foremost a running beast. With the exception of the dog, they have been the most stalwart ally of humanity through its formative years.  Where would we be but for their immeasurable input?  These animals...with an immense physical power that belies their gentle, wise nature...could not have been a better coworker in the building of civilization.  



And so it is that I've found myself on unfamiliar, unexpected ground.  I've recently completed my first painting that is pretty much "all about the horse".  As my wife and I were recently driving along a country road, I was struck by the sight of 4 large dark horses in a field.  A man had stopped to take a picture, similarly struck by these impressive beasts.  And in that moment, I got it at last.  "I must paint that someday". 

 And so, I did.


Four Black Horses

Yes, my stalwart friends, turns out you are more than worthy of an artist's appreciation.  Now back to work...we've got a civilization that needs building!



If you would like a print of "Four Black Horses", it can be found at this link:









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Gotham

The Art Trip of a Lifetime

Art: Make it Personal