Our Favorite New York Park



It was quite by accident that my wife and I stumbled upon what was to become our favorite New York park, Bryant Park.

We were making a bus connection on West 42nd street when we were struck by the beauty of this perfectly proportioned gem of a green space.  What's not to love:  the terraces and flowers...the Parisian style tables and chairs...the soaring Plane trees...or the vintage carousel?  And towering over all of it, the 1924 American Radiator building (now the Bryant Park Hotel) with its stunning black-and-gold brick facade.  Bryant Park seems to epitomize that blend of urban and green spaces which NYC does so well. 
We made a point of bringing the girls there on our return visit, and spent some time playing chess and other games that are available free to the public.  In winter, Bryant has both a full size skating rink and Christmas market on the terrace behind the New York Public Library.
After the first trip in September of 2015 I knew I had to try and capture the park in a painting.  That fall my wife-to-be was recovering from knee replacement surgery, so I set up my easel in the dining room while I was on hand to help her through her recovery.  Bryant Park was the painting I worked on that whole time.
It was finished in time for the McMichael exhibition that year and so had its public debut.  It hadn't sold by the end of the show, and then it dawned on me that it would be the perfect gift for my wife's upcoming birthday.  Our home ultimately was the best spot for it, since we were together the entire time it came to life.

And of course, on our return trip to Bryant Park in 2017, we just HAD to get a picture of us replicating the strolling couple from the painting. 

Bryant Park is located behind the New York Public Library, between West 40th and 42nd streets to the south and north, and 5th and 6th Avenues on the east/west sides. 








If you would like a print of "Bryant Park" it can be found here:


Comments

  1. Dave, I also stumbled on this park a few years ago. I was with one of my best friends and our boys who were young teens at the time. It was around noon and there was a very casual free juggling workshop going on for the public in the park. The boys had a blast and so did my friend and I. It was one of those beautiful happenstances that life seems to offer up to those who are open to them. Love the painting and the back story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your story. I really feel Bryant is an underrated gem.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Gotham

The Art Trip of a Lifetime

Art: Make it Personal