A Boy and His Dog

In my relentless search for archival material to paint I typically resort to browsing the internet.  Sometimes, though, a perfect subject can be found in the family archives.  This is a case in point.  The photo here was taken by my mother, Helen, in 1957 in Yorkton, Saskatchewan.  It shows my eldest brother Gene (then two) having an impromptu bath in a tire rut beside the house, all the while under the watchful gaze of the family dog, Jesse.
What was it that struck me about this photo, besides its familial appeal?  There's a certain timelessness to it on many levels.  It reflects the particular resourcefulness that children have in finding ways to amuse themselves.  It features that blend of rural/urban that was so characteristic of suburban spread in the 1950s.  And of course, it shows the eternal bond between child and dog, with the dog serving the role of both minder and playmate.
My version of the scene is a little more streamlined versus the overgrown nature of the photo.  The painting itself was auctioned off at the Ottawa Art Expo as part of a fundraiser for the Humane Society.  It was purchased by some friends and they then gifted to another of my brothers (Ross), so I'm happy to say the painting is still very much a part of the family from which it originated.
"Jesse and Gene".  48" x 40" acrylic on canvas.



If you would like a print of "Jesse and Gene", please feel free to visit this link:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Gotham

The Art Trip of a Lifetime

Art: Make it Personal